Formerly known as 'New Generations' or 'Youth Opportunities', this Committee continues to work in Primary, Secondary and Special Schools to help pupils and students to make the most of their potential.
Interested in a Youth Exchange Programme?
Follow this LINK then contact the club via the home page. Don't forget to leave some contact details.
The 2-week "Camps & Tours" programme usually starts posting opportunities from January.
The Youth Activities arm of our club has quite a heavy involvement in the community and in the time given by our members. In addition to those in the club who responded to the request to become 'Mentors' for the Princes Trust, members were involved in the following areas:-
1. 'Mock Interviews' are conducted in the local Secondary Schools. This is an excellent, highly structured programme developed by the Rotary Club of Wrexham Erddig, giving students interview experience and feedback on their performance.
2. We have been associated with a local MLD school for whom we raised over £9000 in helping them to achieve 'Specialist Sports College Status'. The official opening was on 26th June 2007.
3. We interview and sponsor students (see below) to attend the week long 'Youth Leadership Course' with a brilliant 'management guru' who gives the students wonderful experiences and learning opportunities in an 'outward bound' style of setting. Full certification is provided for successful students at the end of the course.
4. Again we interview and encourage students in our sixth forms (pardon the old terminology) to participate in the Rotary overseas Camps & Tours programme. The last two students went one to the Czech Republic and one to the Loire Valley in France to learn about George Frank.
5. Four students from Wallasey School were selected to attend a week long course at the "National Writers' Centre for Wales" learning more about creative writing and poetry with three experienced 'professional writers'.
6. In the 2009/10 academic year we had an Exchange Student spending a year studying in Quebec, Canada and a Student with us from Canada. All part of the Rotary Youth Exchange scheme.
Together with the Life Education Centre that Rotary established on the Wirral and the work we do with young musicians in our Primary Schools (last year raising over £3000) our youth programme is an active part of the Rotary Club of Wallasey.
Two young people from Wallasey took part in the District RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Award) camp at Arthog during August 2019, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Wallasey.
The fortunate people to benfit from the camp this year from W eatherhead and Mosslands School, both in the first year of their A Level courses.
They will be reporting back to the club about their experiences in October 2019. Read the report of a similar previous meeting here.