Welcome to Wensleydale Rotary Club's website! Please scroll/swipe down through this page to find out more about us, in addition to the pages linked in the menu, top-left.
Rotary Young Leadership Award (RYLA)
Wensleydale Rotary sponsored a local student to attend the annual RYLA residential week at Hebden Bridgedetails
James Herriot Trail Run Report 2019
This year's Herriot Run was again very successful despite heavy rain the previous day and a poor forecast, which put off 48 entrants but 264 runners took part in relatively dry conditions.details
Wensleydale Rotary Charter and Handover 2019
It is fair to say that our Charter night and handover was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Outgoing president David Spashett handed over to Wensleydale's first female president Susan Rogers at The Creamery in Hawes.details
Rotary north Group School Technology Tournament 2019
Wensleydale Rotarians, along with colleagues from Thirsk and Northallerton, hosted this year's School Technology Tournament at Catterickdetails
YOUNG WRITER 2019/20
This is a national writing competition for young people, sponsored by Rotary to add value to the literacy curriculum in schools and colleges.details
Our members come from a variety of backgrounds, including farming, banking, business, education, and health. All enjoy the fun and friendship that Rotary offers, while also helping their own communities and those farther afield. To learn more about what we do, please explore this site and click on the links on "What we do". If you wish to know more about Rotary International, click on About Rotary. INTERESTED IN JOINING ROTARY? Please use the Contact Form in the menu at the top. We will then invite you to attend a meeting as a guest, with no commitment! If you have just moved into the Dale, you will find a ready-made group of friends who will help you settle into the community.
If you are a Rotarian visiting Wensleydale, you will be very welcome at one of our weekly meetings- please check the "Meeting Information" section on this website, or contact us through the Contact Form
This website short address is www.wensleydale.rotary1040.org .
Our registered Charity Fund number is 1046181
Some of our activities and achievements over the year
• Supported the Rotary International Stop Polio campaign with fundraising events.
• Donated to Action Aid, Shelter and Syrian refugees.
• Donated to Nepalese Goat project.
• Donated to a charity funding computers to remote Nepalese schools.
• Supported the national Kidsout Day. It’s when Rotarians across the country take disadvantaged kids for a fun day out. Whether they live with critical health issues, in refuge, with a disability or facing a tough domestic situation, are taken on a fun day out to the zoo, a theme park or even the seaside, often for the first time in their lives. Over 500 children were taken to Lightwater Valley for the day, accompanied by Rotarians across Yorkshire.
Regional / Local community
• Organised the annual Wensleydale wander where funds raised benefit local good causes.
• Organised the annual James Herriot Country Trail Run which raises money for Rotary charities
• Annual Technology Tournament, this year hosted at Catterick Garrison. The object of the tournament is to give children aged 12 – 18 an unseen Design and Technology problem to be completed in a fixed time.
• Sponsored a student from Wensleydale School to attend RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Award) where for a week they participate in team building programmes to build confidence, motivation and leadership skills
• Support Children attending Kings Club during the summer holidays.
• Ran a Stroke Awareness tent at the Wensleydale Show.
• Pay and transport a carer in the region for a week’s holiday in Scarborough.
• Give local schoolchildren a Dictionary for life, to aid literacy.
• School Bursary. We were able to support 19 children in the area to attend courses and residential trips.
Interschool Challenge, a small sum of money to each Primary School in the Dale and challenges them to increase it by whatever means for charity. This year the children have chosen Cancer Research UK
Our Facebook page ran a Twelve Myth days of Christmas campaign to bust all the myths surrounding Rotary.
We also had lots of fun with quiz nights, lawn bowls, quoits, visiting other Rotary clubs in the area, dominoes and a pancake evening.
President of Rotary International Club Citation presented to Wensleydale Rotary. This is awarded to clubs in recognition of making an especially positive difference in our communities
Meetings and events happening soon
Monday 23rd September 19.00
Dinner- Colin Bailey on Music in the Dales
Monday 30th September 19.00
Dinner - Speaker John Rowntree on his work with Tibetan children
Monday 7th October 19.00
Dinner - Business Meeting
Monday 14th October 19.00
Dinner - Speaker District Governor Manoj Joshi
Joint Meeting with Richmond Rotary at the Bolton Arms
Be part of a global network of volunteers, trying to make the world a better place. Please also see the 'links & news' page for information from the local district and live feeds from Rotary International and Rotary International in GB&I.