Rotary Club Braunschweig-Richmond
We have been linked with our twin club in Germany, the Rotary Club of Braunschweig-Richmond, for more than thirty years. The club was named after Schloss Richmond, a small palace built in 1768 by Duke Karl Wilhelm Ferdinand of Braunschweig for his wife, Augusta, sister of King George III of England.
Members of the two clubs visit each other every two years, alternating between Braunschweig and Leeds.
Have a look at the photographs of our 2007 visit here. The Leeds party then went on to spend a few happy days together in Berlin and Hamelin - more photos here.
We were delighted to renew and strengthen the ties between our two clubs in May 2009, when a 17 strong party of Braunschweig Rotarians and their partners spent a happy three days in the company of Leeds Rotarians seeing the sights of Leeds and Richmond.
In June 2011 it was the turn of our German friends to play host in Braunschweig, where once again we enjoyed their warm hospitality and were treated to seeing more of the city and points of interest in the nearby countryside.
In May 2013 we welcomed a party of 14 of our friends from Braunschweig. They were received by the Lord Mayor of Leeds in the Civic Hall, and enjoyed visits to Temple Newsam and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.