International & Foundation
Our work in the wider world
We are involved with programmes to advance international understanding, improve world health and education, goodwill and peace. We strive to alleviate the effects of poverty.
The Rotary Foundation is the Charitable Trust of the Rotary movement.
- In 1985 the Foundation set up the PolioPlus project to eliminate polio from the face of the earth; today polio is endemic in only three countries of the world, and the Foundation is spearheading the final thrust to eradicate this crippling disease.
- Locally we help to ensure the continued provision of funds for the Foundation, and seek out and support projects which fulfil its aims. We help with the selection or support of students on a number of Foundation educational programmes. We organise a civic reception for Rotary Scholars and Peace Fellows in the district and assist other club members with District and Global Grant Applications.
- Our fund-raising events support projects at local and international level. Funds raised also provide support for other appropriate charities and disaster relief.
- With many other Rotary clubs and their supporters in Yorkshire, the club has contributed to the total rebuilding of a tsunami devastated school in eastern Sri Lanka.
- We have sourced and supplied some 80 beds to hospitals in Ternopil, Ukraine.
- Our most recently completed project is the supply of equipment to a health centre and maternity unit in a remote area of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Click on the heading on the right for a fuller report.
- We maintain, on behalf of the club, relations with our twin club in Germany, the Rotary Club of Braunschweig - Richmond.