Dundee Swimarathon 2016

Fundraising targets smashed!

The organising committee of the 2016 Dundee Swimarathon are delighted to announce record levels of fundraising for the third event held at Olympia on Sunday 21st February. Each participant was tasked with raising £60, 80% of which will benefit their chosen charity, with the remaining 20% being allocated to Rotary causes. However many participants raised well over the expected amounts increasing overall income to over £26,000 when gift aid and event sponsorship was added. Top individual fundraiser Emily Keith, from Monifieth Swim Club, raised £780!

Nearly 300 swimmers completed the relay swim event organised by the Rotary Club of Dundee to coincide with the world’s biggest one day swimming event. Rotary clubs across the globe participate in events to raise money for the international End Polio Now campaign and other Rotary causes.

The Dundee event attracted teams from all parts of the community including three schools; Invergowrie Primary School, St Johns Academy and High School of Dundee; six swimming clubs including Dundee City Aquatics, Menzieshill Whitehall, Dunfermline Waterpolo Club, Monifieth and YABBA; charities such as Brae Riding for the Disabled, Help for Kids and Tayberry along with many other sports clubs, teams of work colleagues and Rotary families. Each team had a 25 minute slot over the course of the afternoon to complete as many lengths as possible. Participants swam over 63800 metres which is equivalent to a distance of 39.7 miles.

Teams swimming the most lengths and those raising the most money will be recognised at a civic reception to be hosted by Lord Provost Bob Duncan in the City Chambers during March. At this event charities and organisations will receive cheques according to funds raised. Winning teams will receive trophies sponsored by the Angus Trophy Centre, and the top ten fundraisers will receive overnight family hotel stays at the MacDonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa near Stirling!

Rotary organisers are grateful to main event sponsors Brewin Dolphin, and WRB Gas for supporting the Swimarathon, and also to Blackadders Solicitors for sponsoring the goody bags. Wave 102 brought a great atmosphere to the day and cheered on all the participants.

Each 25 minute race was sponsored by a different business; Scott Brothers, John Clark BMW, 3000RPM, Henderson Loggie Financial Services, MMG Archbold Financial Services and Allardyce Healthcare. Organisers are also grateful to Strathmore Springs, McDonalds, Sainsburys, CJ Lang, Kelloggs and DC Thomson who  generously provided items for the participant goody bags.

The friendly team at Olympia, headed up by manager Phil Blackwood and duty manager Ian Hendry, made sure everything ran smoothly on the day.

Teams are encouraged to sign up early to secure their places for the 2017 event which will take place at Olympia on February 19th.

Total funds raised by participating teams amounted to £20148.65 with gift aid estimated at £3563.50 and event sponsorship totalling £2400.

Teams can view and order further photographs here: http://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/page.php?PgID=565439&ClubID=26

Top 10 fundraisers

Emily Keith, Monifieth Swim Club £780

Jim Wilson, Henderson Loggie £683

Rachel Flack, Dippies £520

Jill Allan, Brown Drums £500

Alastair Scott, Unicorns £360

Graham Hay, DL Sharks £325

Nairn Brown, Bobby's Buddies £315

Holly Jenkin, BF New Kirk

Brian Reid, DL Sharks £301

Kirsten McMaster, Brae Kelpies £300

Prizewinning Teams
School Award for most lengths: Dippies, High School of Dundee
Rotary Award for most lengths: Rotaract Shark Attack
Committee Award for outstanding effort: Monifieth Swim Club
Committee Award for outstanding team: Bobby’s Buddies
Event Award for most lengths: Menzieshill Whitehall Waterpolo Team
Andrew Gray Award for most lengths by a junior team: Help for Kids
Purple Crocus Award for most funds raised: DL Sharks
Brewin Dolphin Award for best new school team: St John’s RC High School
Blackadders Award for most impressive newcomers: Broughty Ferry New Kirk
WRB Gas Award for best corporate team: Henderson Loggie

(ALL fields required)