Swimarathon - Civic Reception

Thu 24th March 2016 at 19.00 - 21.00

The 2016 Dundee Swimarathon made the event’s biggest ever cash splash, raising more than £26,000 for charities.

Participants in the third annual challenge staged by the Rotary Club of Dundee celebrated at a reception in the City Chambers last night.

  • The event at the Olympia last month attracted almost 300 swimmers who completed more than 2,500 lengths amounting to some 63,900 metres – 40 miles.
  • Each swimmer was tasked with raising £60, 80% of which was for their chosen charity, with the remaining 20% being allocated to Rotary causes.
  • Many raised well over the expected amounts, hoisting the overall income to a record £26,112 with gift aid and sponsorship.
  • The Dundee event was part of the world’s biggest one day swimming session organised by Rotary clubs around the globe to raise money for the End Polio Now campaign and other Rotary causes.
Clive Murray, chairman of the Dundee Swimarathon committee, said: “This year we had another fantastic event which is now firmly established in the city’s charity calendar.

“Over the past three years we have helped teams raise over £60,000 for over 50 charities, local clubs and other good causes.“Interest in the 2017 event is already strong with many teams and sponsors already committing support.”

  • Teams swimming the most lengths and those raising the most money were recognised at last night’s reception.
  • Charities and organisations received cheques according to funds raised and winning teams were awarded trophies sponsored by Angus Trophy Centre.
  • The top 10 fundraisers were treated to stays at the MacDonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa near Stirling.
  • Organisers are grateful to main event sponsors Brewin Dolphin and WRB Gas, and also to Blackadders Solicitors for sponsoring the goody bags.
  • Wave 102 brought a great atmosphere to the day and support was given by several other companies.
  • Taking part were teams from all parts of the community including three schools – Invergowrie Primary, St John’s Academy and Dundee High School – swimming clubs Dundee City Aquatics, Menzieshill Whitehall, Dunfermline Waterpolo Club, Monifieth and YABBA, and charities such as Brae Riding for the Disabled, Help for Kids and Tayberry, along with sports clubs, teams of work colleagues and Rotary families.
  • The top individual fundraiser was Emily Keith, Monifieth Swim Club, who raised £780.

This page carousel shows a number of photos that were taken on the evening.  If you would like a copy of the digital image that's fine. Please use the contact form that follows, be sure to include your name and the team that you represented and the names/numbers of the images required.

As the images move through the carousel, if you place your cursor over the image its refenece number will show.

Alternatively, probably easier. Select the Thumbnail button see all the images, select the one you want click on it and it will be enlarged and show the reference number you need.

(ALL fields required)