Opening of the restored School Rooms
Members of Rotary Middleton were invited to attend the re-opening of the Long Street Methodist Church School Rooms by the Heritage Trust for the Northwest on Wednesday 5 September 2018.
The former Sunday Schools have been restored with funding from the Middleton and Edgar Wood Townscape Heritage Initiative funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Viridor Credits and other private subscriptions.
The Long Street Methodist Church and Schools were designed by Middleton’s Edgar Wood and built in 1901. They are Grade II* listed and both are on Historic England’s Register of Buildings at Risk.
The Church and Schools are owned by Greater Manchester Building Preservation Trust. Its aim is to care for and restore historic buildings at risk in Greater Manchester.
The restoration work was carried out during 2017 and 2018. The School Hall and a suite of four smaller rooms will now be available to hire for events such as weddings, corporate hospitality and other functions such as Rotary Middleton’s planned Music concert in March 2019. This will help generate funds for the upkeep of the buildings. As a result of the restoration the former Sunday Schools will be removed from Historic England’s Register of Buildings at Risk.
Extensive repairs have been carried out to the roof, gutter, drain pipes and the stone and brickwork. Architectural features that had been altered or lost over the years have been reinstated. Many of the original leaded light windows had been lost or damaged. All have been repaired or rebuilt with new lead, retaining as much of the historic glass as possible.
Rotary Middleton funded the replacement of two windows on the corridor outside the Ladies Parlour, one of which is dedicated to the memory of our dear friend Jeffrey Lawton.
Bev Yarwood, Jean Nott and Keith Trinnaman represented the club and were given a tour of the building by fellow Rotarian and member of the Edgar Wood Society Lee Wolf.