A Few Words about Membership
There has been a Rotary club in Skipton since 1930. It currently has a membership of about 40 men and women and is always ready to welcome new members. Rotary has a motto of: “Service Above Self”, but it is also a social organisation. The Skipton club meets for a couple of hours most Wednesdays at the Tempest Arms, Elslack, (in normal times), starting with a meal at 6.00 p.m., followed by a talk on some interesting topic, and discussion/up-dates on current projects. Or we meet on Wednesday Evenings at 7.00 pm On-Line using Zoom.
Here are some of the benefits of membership:
· Make friends: this was the reason Rotary started over a hundred years ago and it is still the number one reason to become involved. Through our network in 160 countries, we have like-minded friends wherever we wander.
· Improve your social life: Rotary clubs are focused on having a good time! We organize many social events to suit all tastes ranging from wine tasting and theatre trips to attendance at conferences and cultural events, and often include spouses and partners.
· Help your community: everyone gets the chance to work in projects aimed at helping their local community. Projects cover all parts of the community from the young and disadvantaged to the elderly. We make a real difference to many people’s lives!
· Get some international experience: there are also many opportunities to become involved in international projects and exchange visits.
· Improve your skills: you can improve a whole range of skills by joining us - leadership, management, communication, organization and planning to name a few.
· Networking: those in business and professional life find this a valuable aspect of Rotary. If you have a problem you can usually find someone who can help.
Many of our members joined: to put something back into society, to make a difference, to get involved in service projects which could be local national or international, and to have some fun.
If you think that you might be interested and would like to know more, contact our membership team leader, Ian Clark on firstname.lastname@example.org . You could then come along as a guest to one of our meetings, to meet members, get a feel of Rotary and see what you think. You would be made most welcome and would certainly not be pushed to join if you felt that it wasn’t for you. Or you can attend one or more of our On-Line meetings Free of Charge and with no obligations.
Ian Clark July 2021