Charter Night 2013 (23 March 2013)
Charter Night - 23rd March, 2013
This year's Charter Night was a milestone event. It is 90 years since the Club came into existence!
To help celebrate the event at the OGH, the Club's guests this year were:
- The Bailiff of , Mr. Richard Collas
- The President of Rotary GB&I, John Minhinick, with his wife, Sheila
- Our District Governor, Mary Pike, with her husband David
- Our District Governor Elect, John Eade
Also present were
- The President of Guernsey's Inner Wheel, Pauline Telford
- The President of the Lion's Club, Sheila Cunningham, with husband Michael
- The President-Elect of Rotary Guernesiais, Ruth Abernethy
- Immediate Past District Governor, Caroline Millman, with husband Keith
- President of Verwood Rotary Club, Stephen Maycock, with wife Sheila
The latter were guests of Steve Hogg.
A history of the Club can be found on the Club's website, thanks to Alec Forty. A brief summary was present on the programme for the evening. The Club is most grateful to Jennifer Alston for preparing and printing the programme for us. Our thanks are due to Rita Foster for adorning the tables with her (as usual) wonderful floral decorations.
After a short welcoming speech, the President led the guests to dinner. A very amusing Grace was spoken by Rev. Mike Kierle, who was a guest of . When the meal was over, the Loyal Toast was proposed by the Bailiff. A short speech bringing greetings from District 1110 was made by District Governor Mary and Rotary GB&I President John followed with a speech stressing the fun, friendship and fellowship of the Rotary movement and the importance of recruiting and, more especially, retaining and motivating members. He then read out and presented a letter from Sakuji Tanaka (President of RI) to the Club and presented a certificate commemorating the Club's 90 year existence, signed by Sakuji.
After the speeches, much to their surprise, Paul Harris Fellowships were presented to and Steve Hogg. Following this, the toast "Rotary the World Over" was proposed by the Club President and the fun part of the evening began - dancing to the Elastic Band.
The raffle raised £484 which was dedicated to Mike Kierle's charity ICFEM, helping young children in born with club feet. The Rotary Club of Guernsey has supported this charity in the past and is pleased to do so again.
Thanks are due to Club members , Rob Whalley, John Campbell and Jeff Kitts for organising the event, to Graham Edwards for taking the photos and to the hotel for looking after us so well. The photos may be viewed on this website.