Where's the money come from?
extracted from PP John Horler's booklet
'Our Club, 1921 - 1980'
During the 30’s the work of the Boys House which had been started in the year John Hodge was President (1923) increased to such an extent that the original house at 13 South Road became inadequate and a larger house at was purchased, to accommodate 25 boys. Throughout the decade The Boys House as it was affectionately known was the club’s major project, with the house management committee being responsible for the day to day running of the house, its staff and the welfare of its guests.
House in wartime must have run under almost insuperable
difficulties, with transport interruptions, the blackout, and food and
clothing rationing. It is reported that ladies of the Inner Wheel
gave some of their own coupons to provide linen and mending
materials. The inadequacy
of the accommodation at the Boys’ House was becoming
increasingly evident, and with the House Silver Jubilee due in 1949 it was decided to launch an appeal. On 14th September 1950 the welcoming of the 10,000th
boy to stay in the House gave added momentum to the appeal.
The Boy’s House Silver Jubilee project was finally completed in December 1953 with the opening of the new house in South Road. The house was an imposing Victorian mansion with a superb panoramic view of the sea coast in front and backed by the wide acres of Worlebury Woods. The house could adequately cope with 40 to 45 boys and had been modernized with a new dormitory and ablution block.
By 1974 the Boys’ House Golden Jubilee Fund topped £30,000, but all was not well. The Management Committee were faced with escalating costs in running the house, salaries for the Warden and Matron and other members of the staff rose considerably and sponsoring clubs were finding is harder to carry the financial burden. Changes in social attitudes together with legislation reduced the capacity of the house adding to the financial worries. Two current members of the club, PP Gordon Evans and PP John Horler were on the House Committee when in 1979 the decision was taken to close the house, which was ultimately sold and the proceeds invested in a new and wider Trust for Children. This Trust continues to this day and provides grants each year to clubs within the owning districts for holidays for youngsters. Up to the time that the house closed almost 30,000 boys had benefited from a holiday. Innumerable members of the Rotary and Inner Wheel Club’s had given their time and talents, none more so than Jim Hall (of Slocombe & Hall) who was Chairman of the House Committee for a number of years and the late Alex Wilson who was the House Secretary between 1953 and 1975.
'What We Do' Main Pages:
As well as our support to the local community we are involved in International Projects, The Eradication of Polio, Clean Water in Uganda, Funding small business enterprises through loans via KIVA See details in the Related Pagesmore
Our main fundraiser - the last event was on Thursday 26th July 2019 - thank you to all the Teams and Sponsors who made this such a successful day. NEXT EVENT - Thursday 22nd July 2021 - you can enter now!more