District 1040 Youth Speaks Competition
Youth Speaks Project Officer
(Important attachments at the bottom of the page)
Rotary international in Great Britain and Ireland has for many years run public speaking competitions for young people. Public speaking is an important life skill and is one that Rotarians value. Rotarians are always delighted to support and celebrate the expertise of young people.
It is hoped that all Clubs/Groups in D1040 will support this exciting competition as an opportunity for the personal development of young people and to provide a prestigious event to enhance the profile and awareness of Rotary.
Initial enquiries regarding the competition and entries to the District Final should be addressed to. Rtn. Geoff Bartrum firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your location details in your correspondence.
District 1040 2015-16 Youth Speaks Senior Winners from the Brooksbank School & Sports College sponsored by Elland Rotary Club represented our District at the Region 2 Final in 2016 again achieving First Place.
They competed at the national Final in 2016. They gave a very professional speech on LGBTQA.
Speaker: Adam Crowther. Chairperson: Connor Fahey. Vote of Thanks: Maria Gomez
The competition aims to offer young people:
- An experience of speaking on a public platform as members of a team.
- An incentive to formulate ideas on topical subjects.
- The discipline in dealing with a topic in a limited time.
- The opportunity of learning and practising high standards of expression, presentation and appearance.
- The impartial criticism and assessment of performance by experienced adjudicators.
Who can take part?
The competition is open to teams of three students who are in full time education in two age groups:
Intermediate 11-13 years
Senior 14-17 years
With the age qualifying date of 31st August in each calendar year, it should be noted that some junior entrants may be 11, intermediate entrants may be 14 and some senior entrants may be 18 at the time of some or all the stage competitions (i.e. a competitor may be 17 on 31st August but turns 18 on 1st September is allowed to enter.)
Teams consist of three members:
Chairperson, Speaker, Proposer - Vote of Thanks
The five stages of the competition in D1040
1. Club Competitions: These are run by local Rotary Clubs, individually or jointly. Two or more clubs may run a combined event if either has insufficient entries for a single event.
2. Group Competitions: in which the winning teams from the Group events take part in the District Competition.
3. District Competition: For 2017/18 the District Competition will be in two parts due to the long distances for schools to travel from the Lincolnshire North Group.
3a North & West Yorkshire Groups competition will be held on Friday March 2nd 2018 at Poppleton Road Primary School, Poppleton road, York. Y026 4UP from 7pm
3b, Lincolnshire North Group Competition will be held on Tuesday 27th February 2018 at Wyke Sixth Form College, Bricknall Avenue, Hull HU5 4NT from 5pm.
4. Regional Finals: The number of entries per District to a Regional Final is a maximum of two Intermediate Teams and a maximum of two Senior Teams per District. This year’s Regional Competition will be held on Monday 21st April 2018 hosted by District 1070, at Catmouse College, Huntsman Drive, Oakham, LE15 6RP
5. RIBI Final: From each Region there will be a maximum of one Intermediate Team and one Senior Team to compete in the National Final. The RIBI National Final will be held on TBA
There will be three qualified adjudicators who will be selected and appointed by the organisers of the particular competition
It is recommended that the Chairperson of the Adjudicators is a person with extensive experience of adjudicating speaking competitions for young people. It is important that, at every stage, the adjudication is seen to be impartial and fair.
Youth Speaks Down Loadable pdf’s