Template site for Rotary Clubs in GB & I
Home | tutorial home | creating 'Slideshows'
- Before you start, note that images are resized to 800 x 600 pixels and must be jpg format - so if you are uploading images straight from your camera, they are likely to be considerably bigger. The upload will either fail if the images are too big, or it will take a very long time to process, so it is much easier if you can resize your images to 800 x 600 first.
- Landscape format pictures display better than portrait format.
- It is also helpful for the search engines if you have meaningful name for the pictures, such as Conwy-Community-Presentation.jpg rather than P10753.jpg.
- Filenames should ideally not have spaces in the name and be mainly alphanumeric (none of the following characters: !"£$%^&*()'@#<>/\+)
Finding the page
There are 2 routes to finding the page which you want to update;
- Go to 'Update or Delete pages' in the menu, then search by page type, name etc OR
- Go to 'Main (top-level) Pages' and if it is a top level page, it's there or, drill down to 'under pages'
Once you've found the page, click the pencil button (highlighted below) to update it.
The following window opens
- Either 'upload and edit slideshow images' and/or 'simple slideshow page'.
Upload and edit slideshow images
The following page opens, assuming you haven't any images loaded already;
Click the 'upload' button to begin. Hopefully the instructions on the page need no clarification. You can upload several images in one go, drag and drop to sort the images etc It's really easy!. A video is available for further help (note this was done before the 'simple slideshow' page was done).
This page was done as some users had browser problems with the more advanced page. Click 'browse' button to find a picture on your computer, add information in the other fields: Title, SortOrder, Description then click the 'upload image' button.
Once you have images uploaded, they will be displayed in the bottom part of the page. You can alter the Sort Order manually, then 'update image information updates all records.
Existing Slideshows (Photo Galleries)
Once you have a 'slideshow' on the page, you can easily add more images or delete existing ones, change the order etc.
The easiest way to find the correct page is to go to 'Update or delete pages' in the admin menu, then search for 'Photo Gallery' pages:
Once you have the search results, click the 'update' icon for the required page and follow the instructions above.
See also 'ordering galleries'