The Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa started life as a cluster of farm buildings which date back to the 17th century, originally known as ‘Orrell Fold.”
It is thought the name came from the Orrell family who owned the land and the estate, the Manor of Turton, from the 1420’s.
In 1930 a well-known farmer and race horse owner and trainer, William Carr, brought the farm and used Orrell Fold for stabling and exercising his horses.
The farm was eventually sold in 1963 to Carton Walker, a visionary entrepreneur who created The Last Drop Village.
The name was created as Mr Walker was celebrating the finishing touches on the restaurant. His friends offered him ‘the last drop’ of a bottle of wine to mark the occasion.
That was back in 1964. Today, The Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa is a unique and friendly four-star destination with a host of prestigious awards under its belt.
The last drop village as it is seen today was originally converted from a croup of derelict 17th century farm buildings known as "Orrell Fold". The name of "Orrell" dates back far beyond modern records, but it is generally believed that the Orrell family held the Manor of Turton from circa 1420, when the Lord of the Manor, John de Torbock, died and was succeeded by William Orrell. The title was then passed down through successive generations of the of the the Orrell family, all of whom resided at Turton Tower.
In 1628, the Tower and its rights were sold to Humphrey Chetham and his family then held the Lordship of Turton until the nineteenth century. The earliest known records of Orrell Fold date from the early part of the eighteenth century and name the then sitting tenant as on John Orrell. In 1763 he was hire by the township of Turton to hold parish offices. This meant that he was responsible for such activities as overseeing the poor and highways etc. This office ceased to exist in 1925.
'What We Do' Main Pages: