Oct 2017 Sixth Form Debate Competition - Peace & Conflict Resolution
Mon 2nd October 2017 at 16.00 - 19.30
an annual competition organised by Cambridge South to celebrate the talents of young people and encourage public speaking, together with fostering an awareness of Peace & Conflict resolution issues around the world.
Congratulations to all the Students and Teachers involved in this very successful event. The debating standards were very high and the Judges say that it was a hard competition to decide on -
WELL DONE The Leys Team - our 2017 Winners.
This evening of competition is part of 3 days of talks and workshops in Sixth Forms around the Cambridge City area. 6 Teams of 3 battle it out on the stage in front of 3 experienced judges.
Open to the Public - parking on site - access from the Fen Causeway and follow the Rotary signs.
Doors Open at 4.15pm - Debates start at 4.30pm and the event runs to Certificate presentations finishing about 7.50pm. Refreshments available.
It is an activity linked to UN Peace One Day.
Our 3 Debated Topics :
1. Proposed by the Stephen Perse Team and Opposed by Impington VC Team (Jo, Lydia & Matthew) :
'This House believes that the UK can influence the world towards a more peaceful future when outside the EU'.
2. Proposed by the Parkside Federation Team (Camille, Julian & Samuel) and Opposed by the Hills Road VI Form Team (Ryan, Finn & Tolu) :
'This House believes that communication by social media will increasingly help to establish a more peaceful society across the world.'
3. Proposed by the Leys School Team (George, Katherine & Krishan) and Opposed by the Comberton VC Team (Joe, Ryan & Laura) :
'This House believes that, in 2017, faith is not the root of Terrorism.'
Our 3 experienced Judges are -
1. Holly White - a Rotary Peace Scholar from Canada. - CV here
2. Sian Nash - in her third year of judging.
3. Jenny Little - Chair of Judges.
It will be followed by a hotel meal for the organisers and their guests AT 8PM.