/ Activities undertaken in Rotary year ended 30 June 2015
This page is a summary of events undertaken during Rotary year 2014-15
- Nailsea Charity Walks & Runs raised approx £20,000 for charities and local community organisations.
- Concert at Bristol Cathedral together with bag packing, both jointly with Nailsea Inner Wheel, raised £11,400 for Help for Heroes.
- Charity Golf Day raised £6,000 for St Micheal's Hospital Special Care Baby Unit and St. Peter's Hospice.
- Charity Handbag stalls raised £1,442 for Nailsea & Backwell Rotary Child Assist Fund.
- Charity Bookstalls raised £1,400.
- International Quiz Night raised £795.
- Stewarding assistance to both North Somerset Show and Weston Carnival raised £700.
- Car Boot Sale raised £306.
Youth & VocationalDuring the year the Committee focused on supporting vulnerable and disadvantaged youngsters, whilst continuing to encourage youth and youth ventures.
- Young Carers' Day Out. A group of young carers were taken by the club, working with Crossroads Care North Somerset Young Carers' team, to an activity based day out giving the young people a chance to put their caring responsibilities to one side and enjoy being children for the day.
- Kids Out - A Rotary venture to fund a similar day out for under-priviledged children at an Adventure Park.
- Tall Ships - 6 teenagers were paid for and supported on life changing Tall Ships voyages which presented new challenges and experiences whilst developing life skills, teamwork and leadership.
- Reading assistance in Backwell and Flax Bourton Schools.
- About 150 Mock Interview were arranged for A level year students at Nailsea School providing students with experience of writing CV's, preparing for an interview and then going through the interview process.
- Financial support is provided to young people to assist with lifestyle, development, community and charitable projects.
- Competitions - the club organises local rounds of Young Chef, Young Musician, Young Photographer and Public Speaking competitions for students at local schools.
- The club sponsors, judges and gives prizes as Tech Awards for students at Nailsea School rewarding excellence in various disciplines of design and construction.
- Personal Development projects for younsters are supported by means of financial grants and, where appropriate, assistance with organising the events.
- Financial support of young people carrying out voluntary work.
- Donation of £100 to Rotary Disabled Sports event.
- Food Bank collections weekly from Waitrose supermarket and Changing Lives, both in Nailsea.
- Salvation Army Christmas Carol Concert - in aid of Cross Roads Carers.
- Old Peoples Concert at Colston Hall - 35 Senior Citizens funded.
- Hands-on assistance to Mencap Cool Summer Club.
- The club helped set up the Nailsea Leg Club, giving financial and hands on support.
- Financial assistance given to Backwell Playing Fields Association.
- 3 Water Survival Boxes purchased and sent for disaster relief.
- Nepal Earthquake disaster - collections in Nailsea and at The North Somerset Show raised £5,100 for disaster relief.
- Manage to completion the Kivunge Hospital Project in Zanzibar.
At the same time as working for others Rotarians set out to enjoy themselves and during this year were involved in:
- Visits and trips
- Members and partners Weekend in Oxford
Membership of Nailsea & Backwell Rotary Club is open to both men and women who are looking for an active social life and are interested in putting something back into society. If you would like to know more about us and/or would be interested in joining us please select the Contact Us link at the top of the page and select "Membership contact" in the subject/recipient drop down menu.