Redcar is a town of about 34,000 inhabitants situated on the North East coast of England just to the south of the Tees Estuary. The town is one of the chief administrative centres of the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland created following the abolition of Cleveland County in the local government reorganisation of April 1996. Although situated within sight of the numerous industrial complexes along the banks of the River Tees, Redcar itself is not an industrial town. It is possessed of a wide High Street lined on both sides with shops, amongst which are featured many familiar household names . Extensive additional retail developments have been built recently. In commemoration of the Millennium, the club worked with the Borough Council to present a clock which is at one end of the pedestrianised High Street.
Redcar is well served by restaurants - lovers of Italian, Greek, Chinese and Indian food, as well as traditional British fare, will all find something to their taste. Whilst no longer in the forefront of holiday resorts, Redcar still has much to offer the day visitor. The town is well served by trains that link with the East Coast mainline at Darlington. Teesside International Airport is also within easy reach.
Redcar has wide sandy beaches and from its seaside promenade offers extensive views both across the Tees Bay and south along the Yorkshire coast. The town is home to the Zetland Lifeboat. Built in 1802 Zetland is the oldest surviving lifeboat in the world and is well worth a visit, as is the Kirkleatham Old Hall Museum. The beauties of the North York Moors National Park are also less than 30 minutes drive away. Lovers of "the sport of kings" will be drawn to Redcar Race Course which offers a comprehensive programme throughout the flat racing season, whilst cricket fans will find in Redcar one of the top league clubs in the North East of England.
A Brief History of Redcar
In 1802 one of the earliest lifeboat stations in Britain was established at Redcar. The Zetland lifeboat built by Henry Greathead of South Shields is now preserved at Redcar as the oldest surviving lifeboat in the world.
The railway line from Middlesbrough to Redcar was opened in 1847.
Work on the building of Redcar Pier began in 1871. Although badly damaged by ships on several occasions it survived until the Second World War. The pier at neighbouring Coatham was not so fortunate and had been demolished by the turn of the century.
Gertrude Bell, famous for her travels in Arabia before, during and after the First World War spent her childhood at Red Barns in Redcar. The house now carries the town's only Blue Plaque.
Redcar Town Clock was built in 1912 to commemorate the reign of Edward VII.
For more information about Redcar, please visit the Redcar & Cleveland Borough site.
'What We Do' Main Pages: